The future stands still, dear Mr. Kappus, but we move in infinite space. - Ranier Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Letter 6

Dear Josephine,

I have to admit - I've been pretty exhausted lately. Black half moons have appeared under my eyes and have taken permanent residence. To combat this unwelcome stay I decided to revolutionize my diet. I've already been getting the now-required 10 hours of sleep per evening, so when I took a "health assessment" quiz I wasn't shocked to read the findings:

a. daily intake of fruit - poor
b. daily intake of veggies - poor
c. alcohol intake - moderate

(everything else, dear Josephine, was fine)

I've already given up c. I realized I was drinking to excess every time beer/liquor/wine touched my lips and my young body does not need that kind of battering. I'm giving up alcohol until I can re-realize my limits, understand my body, feel rejuvenated, and not drink to get trashed.

In response to a and b, this morning I went grocery shopping and bought loads of fruit, veggies, nuts, hummus, and yogurt. I'm going home this evening and throwing out all foods with loads of transfat. I'm actually eating breakfast. I'm taking iron supplements. I know it sounds cheesy to say, but I think change is a brewin'.

Which leads me to topic two. I think it's really a slap-in-the-face when corporate America forces their youngest employees to pay for their groceries by using their credit cards. I mean, don't get me wrong - I have a good job with a decent starting pay, but it's not enough to sustain my standard of living (which I tell you, is not high). Frankly, I wanted to cry today at Trader Joes (which has good cheap produce) when I had to pull out my credit card in order to nourish my body. Yes, I am being dramatic.

I just don't understand how strips of crane paper and cloth can cause so many restless nights. It's caused me to realize that these non-profit jobs my friends tend to gravitate towards that offer mid-twenty salaries are not feasible options (especially when one is living in the city). I think there needs to be a shift in salaries so that starting pay for corporate/non-profit jobs accurately reflect 1.5 times the standard of living as stipulated by the surrounding location. At least 1.5 as let's face it - at least half of all Americans are in some sort-of debt.

To conclude: it does not surprise me that 45% of all American currency produced is the one-dollar bill, nor that it is the most popular "rag" used. Should I be content to know that we haven't started making 50 cent bills?

In response to your question, no I hadn't considered that stance. Let me reflect on it a while longer; I will respond shortly.

Finally, I know there has been literature published on the direct correlation of salary and nutrition, and salary and standard of living (take Nickel and Dimed for example), I just wonder when more people are going to take note.

truly,
l.c.

1 comment:

Jess said...

but if salaries were raised to 1.5x the standard of living, prices of goods would rise proportionally. and if you're just going to continually make sure salaries are 1.5x the standard of living, whatever it is, all that's going to brew is inflation.

in other news, i feel your pain. we have an amazing new produce store on my way home, that also has really nice looking organic meat. i'm kind of on a high when i shop there, but then i compensate back down when i look at my bank statements. blah.

oh, and i was a comma.